I'm mark ehlen.
I learn stuff at UNLV.
I work at Starbucks.
I still live
with mom n dad.
I’m straight, single, but not ready for her yet. Whoever she is.
I never want to stop learning; stagnation, mediocrity, and complacency are among my foremost problems and deepest fears.
I'm currently looking to make a band to jam, collaborate, and eventually gig with.
maybe I don’t understand you after all these nights
- live and work somewhere in Asia
- live in an original artistic house somewhere out in Brazil
- live and work in New York or Chicago
- experience deserts and savannas in Africa
- visit New Zealand and Australia
- camp out on an uninhabited island with some friends
- meet a girl in France
- meet a girl in Britain
- release an album I’m completely happy with
- play a live show of my music to a crowd of 300 people
- play the shit out of a guitar solo. live.
- make love to a fan of my music who I don’t know
- mine ore with a pickaxe
- make a hand axe from scratch in the wilderness
- get to masters league in starcraft 2
- learn and understand more calculus
- learn and understand more engineering
- learn and understand more physics
- learn and understand more programming
- become an incredible painter
- work on campus for Apple computers and/or Blizzard gaming
- travel the world doing photography for Nation Geographic
- be part of something as amazing as the Lotr trilogy
- build my financial assets to exceed my costs
- install an industrial espresso machine in my home
- get in good enough shape to swim shirtless unashamed
- run and finish a half-marathon race
you can’t smell your house till you’ve been gone for weeks
you can’t smell your own breath till it reeks
cause you know what you know but you don’t know you know it
till you know what you don’t know too
I’m bringing a map just incase I get lost
but I’m bringing some blanks just incase I re-draw
its my only hope
its my escape
(if) I sail away from this land
I’ll come back one day
then I can understand
(why) Earth seems so flat when your looking from home
I sailed away
I gotta know
I’m not saying that I think everything is music. I’m not saying that I think music is completely indescribable or unclassifiable.
but think about it. there’s so much variety in any music. I know that I can’t definitively describe what I consider to not be musical.
every time I hear somebody claim ‘this isn’t music’, my mind would like to superimpose over it a different phrase:
"I lack the perspective to understand the music in this”
and this becomes an even more powerful thought when you replace music with other words.
such as art.
"if it isn’t special, don’t do it."
-note to self
With this project/band it’s gonna be all about the pop rock. So panic at the disco, paramore, fall out boy. I guess you could say we’re going for a mainstream ‘fueled by ramen’ sound.
We all got together once last week to try each other all out acoustically. We decided to record some video of it for reference, but I just now remembered to post them here for you. I think for a first get together, it’s pretty decent. If we’re gonna do any real little acoustic sets though, we should probably get better percussion gear for it. Maybe I’ll borrow my brothers cajon?
Here’s the videos